Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Firenze, Italia

The Birthplace of the Renaissance
I went to Florence for the 4th time on Sunday. This was, however, the first time I really invested any time in the museums. Of course I'd been to see the David, but during my previous visits, I wasn't as interested in paying a lot of money to go look at Renaissance art. Now, however, not only do I have the time and money, but I've also managed to cultivate an interest in the city and it's art. It is part of my job, in some ways.





Now here on the left is a picture taken from the Uffizi Gallery. I was expecting to be bored at the Uffizi, since the only paintings I knew of that were there were the Birth of Venus and... well that was all. Botticelli is an early Renaissance painter, and until recently I'd never had any interest in that. Anyways, the bridge on the bottom left is the Ponte Vecchio. I went to Florence with two girls that I know, Federica and Claudia. They are the female balances in our house, since they come over pretty regularly. Neither of them speak English, however, and so for the entire day I was forced to speak Italian and listen to them in Italian. I can speak Italian ok by now, but it is difficult for me in English to talk about art. I think, considering the circumstances, I performed admirably. But now Claudia is a really quiet girl. Most of the time I'm speaking with Federica, but at one point, while Federica waited in line, Claudia and I left to take a walk. Not knowing what to say as we walked across the Ponte Vecchio, I said in Italian, "This bridge is really old." It wasn't until I finished the sentence that I realized how stupid a statement it was, "Ponte Vecchio" means "Old Bridge."

The girl on the left is Federica. The reason for the trip was that it was her birthday. The one on the right is Claudia. The other reason for this trip was that she'd never been to Florence (and it's only an hour and a half away!). Jim's uncle was in town and together they went to a town in the south of Italy called "Santa Croce", where an ancestor of theirs has a villa named after him. So Jim couldn't come. Yashar... well Yashar just sucks and bailed out, so it was just the three of us. I had a good time though.









I will probably at some point go on a lengthy analysis on here about the Renaissance, but right now I'm a bit brain dead. Hope you enjoyed my few pictures (I stole them all from Claudia).

No comments: